So I saw a little gem of a canvas DIY on Pinterest. I immediately pinned it, and then had a really difficult time actually finding the DIY. I could find pictures of it, but not the actual project. I gathered up the items and materials that I figured were closest to the project and thought I would share.
If you already have black and white paint this project will probably cost you less than 15 dollars to make (with a coupon for the canvas). I needed new paint, so it cost me around 22 dollars for paint, the canvas, and the buttons. You will also want fabric glue for gluing on the buttons (not in the picture).
So I used one and a half inch painters tape. I measured (not my typical style, but I didn’t want wonky stripes) so it was spaced one and a half inches apart. Make sure the tape wraps the canvas as you will paint the sides.
Then just paint two coats of black paint over the canvas. Brush up from tape so you don’t bleed color under the tape. Make sure you get the sides as well!
After I removed the tape, I checked the canvas, and liked how it looked without painting the white part. However, you can carefully paint in the white part with white paint, after you remove the tape.
So this part is all done! I did this in the morning while J was finger painted. Took me less than twenty minutes.
After the canvas is dry (wait about one-two hours) move on to the second step. For this step I printed and cut out a heart from red thick card stock. I positioned it on the canvas and just taped with double sided tape:
Then you just start gluing on buttons with the fabric glue. I first placed my buttons and then glued them because I tried to keep it in line with the red card stock heart:
You can see here that the glue is white. Don’t worry, it dries clear.
Then I decided to do a second level of buttons, so it would look more filled in.
Then I simply printed the wording with a pencil, and then went over it with a thin permanent red marker.
Let it dry for at least three hours (or overnight), and then hang it up!
It works really well with the gallery wall I am working on in our bedroom.
And that’s it! Simple, and turns out really lovely! (And yes, I know you can see some of the glue here…I went ahead and hung it so I could take my pictures and then laid it back down to finish drying)
*And it would be a cute addition if you are having a birthday party like the one I had for J last year! 🙂