Drapery Project-Creating BlackOut Drapes

We are in the process of moving Super A into our guest bedroom (aka the big boy room). Our guest bedroom and closet is significantly larger than A’s current room, so we decided to move him to that room so he would have more space to play. His old room will be for “his baby that is coming in February” (Super A’s words exactly). We did not tell him this, he came up with it on his own. I wanted him to move into the new room without the feeling that the new baby was taking his old room, so we never mentioned that room would be for the baby. However, apparently A came to his own conclusions.

We recently had A’s room and the baby room painted, which I am so happy with (and happy that we hired someone to do it!). So stay tuned for a blog post about the transition to the new room and its set-up. To make a long road to my actual post, the guest bedroom does not have blackout blinds. The drapes in A’s old room were from IKEA and I love them and wanted to keep them, however, they are pretty shear. So I decided to turn them into blackout drapes. This was actually really easy, the only problem I encountered is that the blackout fabric is heavy and I ran out of bobbin without noticing for one part and had to re-do it.

Materials Needed:

Sewing machine

Appropriately matching thread (I used white)

For two 63 inch panels, I needed 4 yards of drapery blackout fabric (2 yards per panel).

What I Did:

So with the IKEA drapes it was actually pretty easy. The drapes themselves have a threading that is visible in a rectangle along the whole inner perimeter of the drape. I used this as a pattern. I pinned each piece of blackout fabric to the back of the drape and then sewed following along the thread outline. Then I trimmed the edges close to the thread line and cut all the hanging off threads.

Can you spot the threading line on the drapes? That was my rectangle pattern block I followed.

The completed drapes!

How it turned out:

I was really pleased with the results overall. It’s not always that I have an idea and it actually completes the way I want. It also makes the drapes hang better, and serves the purpose that I wanted to block out the light in A’s room. I do have one part that I am going to re-do because as I said before, the bobbin ran-out and I didn’t notice, so I have a bit of gap in the spot I had to re-do with the new bobbin thread.

My overall thoughts:

I would definitely recommend trying it if you have a simple drape pattern to follow (and you enjoy diving into craft projects that you aren’t sure of the results, HA!). The blackout fabric is super heavy and in order to not get it to pucker you really have to pull it tight all the way through the sewing process so the drape doesn’t have weird puckering issues.

Recommended Articles

1 Comment

  1. Great job and the perfect solution! I use blackout drapes from Country Curtains in my house and I love them, but these are so much cuter. I can’t wait to see what colors the two rooms will be.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ALL OF THE MATERIAL ON THIS SITE IS COPY-WRITTEN BY THE BLOG AUTHOR. IDEAS, IMAGES, PHOTOGRAPHS AND CONCEPTS CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE BLOG AUTHOR. CUPCAKES AND COMMENTARY RUNS ADS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY SPONSOR AND USES AFFILIATE LINKS AND COOKIES WITHIN THIS SITE. PURCHASING AN ITEM THROUGH A LINK FROM CUPCAKES AND COMMENTARY MAY RESULT IN A COMMISSION. CURRENTLY, THIS SITE USES GOOGLE ADSENSE LINKS. MERELY CLICKING ON A LINK DOES NOT RESULT IN A COMMISSION, BUT IF AN ITEM IS PURCHASED AS A RESULT OF THE LINK, A COMMISSION IS EARNED. IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS ABOUT MY DISCLOSURES OR AFFILIATE LINKS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME DIRECTLY VIA E-MAIL AT MCDAVID1229@YAHOO.COM.